Thursday, March 31, 2011

Film ID what is it and where does it come from 35mm edition

I wanted this to be a Lomography.com article as I thought (Stupidly) that they were open about film stock and happy to have people fully informed. Alas I was rejected as they didn't want people to learn about what film they are using. The problem I have is that I love this company, sure the cameras are overpriced and crappy quality control ( I am not the only one with faulty camera issues) but there is something lively about them and I am a loyal customer. SO I am not out to get them. I am not out to tell you what to buy and what to avoid, but its a little unfair to have a house film and not tell people what film stock you are selling poeple. For the Record I spend hundreds of dollars at their film shop, they have so many types of interesting films.

I have not done any research into 120mm stock, this is different just because a 35mm ISO 100 house film is one company, it is not necessarly so that the 120mm is the same company.

Another company which I adore but sells cheap house film (Of the same stock as Lomography.com) is four corners Dark.

Just know what you are buying and be happy. I like four corners Dark as I ised their house film to test cameras. It is cheap and cheap to process.

Anyway here is what you can do to see what you are feeding your lovelies (35MM)
Written for Lomography.com

Film stock is usually made on one of a very few factories and then re-packaged. I did write a tipster on this but alas it was not deemed worthy for publishing on the web site... soo Here it is for you to read. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.
I have had a few people ask me about identifying Films. I am talking 35mm films not Medium format as I have not done research into 120mm but from this article I hope you will be able to go out and find out for yourself and use these clues to ID your other films.

So you go to the chemist and see house film for 50c so its old and expired but we don’t care it’s CHEAP FILM!! But you know in your heart that you want to know. Its it really Agfa? Kodak? Iford?

Probably bored with me now.. But this is a passion of mine..
This web site has a whole list of the Kodak codes. It is 28 pages long!!!
Kodak Codes Be sure to send him a note and think him for his hard work.

Ferrania may be the biggest source for house label film. There are alternating green + and • symbols between the sprocket holes of every other frame. The font of the frame numbering is segmented, like an LED clock display. Easy right?? Actually you will find most or your Lomo house film (but not all) is This brand. Italian Film!! SWEET! (AS is Uboot and the house film from Four corners Dark)
FYI Ferrania do not make 120mm film… so if you do the research please Let me know.


Fuji film always seems to have coloured stripes running through the sprocket holes. The frame numbers are “pixelated.” There’s an arrow to the LEFT of the half-frame “A” numbers SO if you see bar codes, you have a fuji branded film. Klick Max is Fuji for example. You can see the coloured lines at the top and the barcode with Pixilated Numbers (Also the bar codes are Fuji see below)



But as it is rebranded it doesn’t have Fuji printed on the neg. On occasion this does happen though.

Kodak manufacturered film is numbered in an extended font with smooth outlines. The half-frame “A” numbers have a long-tailed arrow below & a bit to the left of them. There’s a short black bar between 0 and 1 (on the edge without barcodes).



And you can see its a Kodacolor Gold 400 film.

Agfa film. Hm I don’t have much agfa film and the one or two roll tell me that they are really Fuji films.. so I need to research Agfa a bit more. Agfa tends to use a Cyan line for some brands and red triangles for others… but here is what I have so far Symbol marks on colour negative films
Oprima 100 4 red squares
Oprima 200 4 red triangles
Oprima 400 2 red squares
Portrait 160 4 green squares
The cartridge colour tells you the processing for example red /C-41 blue Process E-6 grey B/W negative processing. I am happy to receive any more information you may have

3M or Scotch uses Dots.

OK you have not processed the film, you have only got the canister.. No problem!! Get the barcode number and go to the DX reader (Doesn’t work on windows explorer)
DX codes are here
http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/
(Doesn’t work in Windows explorer, if you have the canister, you type in the barcode of the film and it will tell you film speed, exposures, maker etc etc etc good for house films) Lomo films I have are Ferrania, the u-boot films are Ferrania my Rollei retro films are AGFA etc etc



And you can see its a Kodacolor Gold 400 film.

Agfa film. Hm I don’t have much agfa film and the one or two roll tell me that they are really Fuji films.. so I need to research Agfa a bit more. Agfa tends to use a Cyan line for some brands and red triangles for others… but here is what I have so far Symbol marks on colour negative films
Oprima 100 4 red squares
Oprima 200 4 red triangles
Oprima 400 2 red squares
Portrait 160 4 green squares
The cartridge colour tells you the processing for example red /C-41 blue Process E-6 grey B/W negative processing. I am happy to receive any more information you may have

3M or Scotch uses Dots.

OK you have not processed the film, you have only got the canister.. No problem!! Get the barcode number and go to the DX reader (Doesn’t work on windows explorer)
DX codes are here
http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/
(Doesn’t work in Windows explorer, if you have the canister, you type in the barcode of the film and it will tell you film speed, exposures, maker etc etc etc good for house films) Lomo films I have are Ferrania, the u-boot films are Ferrania my Rollei retro films are AGFA etc etc





From left to right we have made by..
1.Lomo Redscale 100 – Ferrania Imaging Color FG Plus 100
2. Color Slide X-pro ISO 200 – Rollei made by Agfa (This has no barcode but I can tell after developing)
3.Lomo X-pro Chrome ISO 100 – Eastman Kodak Company Film not indentified
4.Lomo 30mm ISO 100 Color negative – Ferrania Imaging Color FG Plus 100

So you see, the redscale and the ISO 100 normal are the same film but the redscale is loaded in reverse. Pretty cool huh??

I love these films so I am not nit picking. I love to see where things come from and how they are made and I hope you do to

If you need any more info send me a message

No comments:

Post a Comment