Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Box brownie


Went to get the mail and we needed toilet paper. So I walked down from the post office to the supermarket, a passing an antique store. I always walk past this store. I have never gone in. Ever. In all the years I have lived here, never have I darkened their doors.. Today, I stopped dead. I had this strong feeling that I should go in, just this once.

I opened the squeaky door ( yes, creaks) and ventured into a room filled with china cabinets. Oh a bull in a china shop.. I kept my hands close to my body for fear of breaking something. Dolls looked down from their dusty shelves probably wondering why a ragged woman, in tracksuit pants and unkempt hair was daring to enter their boutique.
The well dressed lady behind the counter, finished serving the handsome fireman (yes, all true!!) looked over at me and smiled the warmest smile I have seen in a time.
She chatted to me and talked about the new store coming soon, the books in the back with the fur coats. Fur coats were 50% off... Ooo... Nono not here for coats..
Box Brownie Flash II

I excused myself as I spied a moldy leather case. Square, thick leather.. Hmmm

Gingerly opening it I saw....

Box Brownie Flash II

Squee!! It's cute and in nice condition. I pulled it out of the bag, taking to the lady's counter. I turned it over in my hands talking about it to the lady. She pretended to be interested. She did ask me questions.
I asked if I could test it or was it broken. She had no idea so allowed me to play with it. The shutter worked the glass was all intact and the only flaws were some dirt. For a 1958 box camera, it was in good condition.

I gave in and handed over the last of my cash for the fortnight. Sigh.

The friendly lady wrapped it lovingly in a bag and we chatted some more. Returning to the car, I suddenly remembered the toilet paper. DAMN! Rummaging through the car for change i scraped enough to get some. PHEW!!!

Returning home I opened my prize. I was aware that I had no 620 film but could I squeeze 120 inside??

120mm fits.. just

Hmm

Fitting 120mm into 620mm spaces


620 is slightly narrower and a lot thinner. Getting a cheap 120mm film I squeezed it onto the roll. It was a tight fit. Now I get to see what this can do. Either way it's cute and will be a lovely bookcase piece.

Box Brownie flash II

Box Brownie Flash II

Close up of Close up

Posted from a remote location

Location:Menangle St,Picton,Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment